Stereotypes

     A time when someone assumed something about me because of a stereotype was in middle school when a student thought I was smoking in the bathroom and told the teacher. The way that this situation happened was that I went to the bathroom near the gym in the middle of class, during this time I was sick so I would begin to cough at times. I had finished using the bathroom but a couple seconds later a kid walked in but at that moment I started coughing, he asked if I was smoking and with the most confused face I said no, he then walked out and told a teacher that was passing by. The teacher was a male and walked into the bathroom asking if it was true that I was smoking, I explained to him that I was just using the bathroom and that I do not smoke. At the end the teacher walked away, the kid apologized to me and explained how he assumed I was smoking since most Hispanic kids do that.

    Today in class we watched a video about a girl and the stereotypes she faced and how it affected the way she thought about herself, but later on explains how she never let those stereotypes stop her.

    One thing I learned was that stereotypes can be a positive and negative thing. The way I may use this in the future is by not judging someone based on stereotypes I heard about that person's culture. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I, Too" Poem

Learning Method