Culture Identity
One family tradition that is unique to my culture is quinceañeras. This is a birthday celebration done to girls in Latin-American culture when they become 15. The way that quinceañeras mirror the cultural identity themes of expectations is that it involves age, gender, and Religion. The girls have to be 15 in order to have a quinceañera party, only girls do quinceañeras, and if the family is religious like Catholic they will go to church before the party and pray or feel thankful. The way that this tradition contrasts the cultural identity themes of expectations is that it does not require any type of sexual orientation, language, SES status, or physical/mental ability. It does not matter what language you speak quinceañeras can be done in different languages, the class of SES status does not matter, many people celebrate quinceañeras with more or less stuff then others, and you do not need to be physically or mentally good to have or do a quinceañera.
Today in class we took notes and went deeper into cultural identity and what it really means to identify yourself.
Taking notes and learning more about cultural identity made me understand that identifying yourself doesn't just mean where your from. The way that I might use this in the future is that next time I am asked to identify myself I can say something like "I am a brown, Latin-American, Christian, male," instead of saying "I am Latin-American".
Comments
Post a Comment