Gender Expectations
One gender expectation in my culture that has been challenging to navigate with is that a man does not show his emotions. An example of this would be that as a kid I would always get yelled at by soccer or boxing coaches and sometimes I would feel like just crying but people in my culture would always say "A man does not cry". This has been a challenge for me because I have always been a sensitive person. Another example of this would be that sometimes as a kid I would also feel nervous or scared about things like going to dark places alone, having to fight in rings, and playing against older kids. This was also a challenge because I would show that I was scared and in my culture is seemed like it made me less of a man.
Today in class we read a story called "Girl" by Jamaica Kincaid, after we read the story we answered 7 questions assigned to us.
One thing I learned today was that gender expectations are different for each gender. One way I may use this in the future is by not allowing someone else to control what I do because it does not seem to fit my gender expectations, for example cleaning.
Comments
Post a Comment