Influences
A part of my identity that has influenced me to be the person I am is being Latin-American. The reason why being Latin-American has influenced the person I am today is because I am able to communicate with people from two different languages and it helps me understand each culture much better. As a Latin-American I am also able to feel proud of who I am by being able to express my Hispanic roots and also my American roots at the same time without feeling ashamed. No, I have never felt pressure to change, hide, or emphasize a part of myself to fit in. I have always felt that one should feel proud of who they are without worrying about the opinions of others.
Today in class we read the poem called "A Korean Dream" by Sharon Lee and we talked as a class about what it meant for her to be "more American".
One thing that I learned today was that having two different cultures can be either a strength or a weakness to some people. The way that this impacted me was that we can always try or be apart of another culture but no matter how much we try to fit into that culture society will always assume something else, this may be because of your physical appearance or the way you act, and that there is nothing wrong about not being from the same culture as someone else.
Comments
Post a Comment