Race
If someone tried to understand me only using my race they would miss a lot about the type of person I am, For example most people would just assumed that I'm careless or always in trouble but in reality I consider myself a really calm person. Another thing they might miss is the type of activities that I enjoy doing besides the ones common in my race. One part of my cultural identity that helps me make me I am is Christian, I say this because it's a religion that has always been with me throughout my life and it gives me a strong thing to believe in. Another part of my cultural identity that makes me who I am is male, I was born a male and will always be a male. The last but not least important part of my cultural identity that makes me who I am is Latin-American, I have two different cultures that I been a part of my whole life and it makes me remember where I come from and what new things I can learn from each one of them.
Today in class we watched three different stories and answered questions for each story, each story talked about the different ways people saw race and what it really meant to consider yourself to be a certain race.
One thing that I learned today was that race does not just mean the skin color you have, or the way people see you, race also refers to what you feel comfortable or connected with and what do you consider being apart of. This impacted me by allowing me to understand that people can also be a part of other races as long as they feel comfortable and do good acts to help.
Comments
Post a Comment